Saturday, August 13, 2011

(ADHD) Within Children Of All Ages, Do You Have It?

It's amazing how some of us got through childhood, and I'm not talking about in the digital age. I mean the 70's. We didn't have the internet to spread knowledge and create awareness for such things as ADHD. To my teachers I was just a loud mouthed kid, underachiever, that hated to read and flunked every reading assignment. There was the forgetfulness, and the unique ability to embarrass myself because ADHD also causes a lack of awareness. And it's not much easier as an adult with ADHD. I can be impulsive, rude, and downright abrasive. Not just with interrupting conversations, but the complete lack of manners, forgetting to say thank you, I'm sorry, or excuse me.

Worst of all is the one trait my mother would be most proud of, I'm dangerously honest. I'll tell you the truth and what I think without much consideration to how it might be ingested by others. It generates a lot of the obvious statements, and rhetorical questions. But I try to warn people when they ask for my input or council that I will always tell the truth no matter how bad it hurts.

It has made me a straight shooter, I don't like to negotiate. Give me the bottom line up front and don't waste my time, because I will walk away. I will not insult you by wasting yours if your bottom line is more than I can afford.

So, you may be asking, how do I combat this? It takes an enormous amount of energy to combat the symptoms. I do not take medication for it. It requires me to be on guard 24/7, to actively be aware of my surroundings, keep my thoughts and mouth in check, and to always consider others before myself. Sounds easy, but not with ADHD. Awareness of what ADHD has done to me over the years has changed the way I interact with people and my family. I wish I had known about this 30 or 40 years ago, my family and my careers may have been much different. Happier I hope, but less scarred I am sure.

The article is actually about ADHD in "Children of all ages". Since I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up, I think it applies to me too. Enjoy!


Read full article at (ADHD) within Children of all ages, do you have it?




Regards
John Crawford

AutismZone
Accokeek Computers
Mamas Best Recipes
The Cartouche - Science Fiction Reviews


AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Do you believe vaccinations cause or contribute to autism?