Monday, June 6, 2011

We’re Talking About Fathers

As a father of autistic person, it is paramount the family stays together, the marriage has to stay together.  No single parent should have to endure it alone.

Years ago, my son was an inpatient at the Kennedy (Krieger) institute in Baltimore, MD.  My wife and I participated in a support group comprised of parents of current inpatients.

Of the 10 families represented, we were the only couple still married.  We all know raising any handicapped child takes a toll on a marriage.  And I will be the first to admit it would have been easy to just split leaving my wife to do it all.  In hind sight that would have been disasterous for everyone.

I thank God that after 26 years I'm still married to the same wonderful woman, the same woman that has by default had to be at home all these years with the kids, and not having much of a life.  Best of all she puts up with me!

So as a father of an autistic child, there lots of things I WANT but probably will never have.  At the end of the day I have everything I need; my kids, my job, my health, and most of all my wife.

Autism Speaks Official Blog

No comments:

Do you believe vaccinations cause or contribute to autism?